Different Types and the Benefits of Getting Cornrows
Cornrows have become an increasingly popular hairstyle in recent years, embraced by people of all ages and backgrounds. This timeless and versatile hairstyle has its roots deeply embedded in African culture but has now transcended cultural boundaries to become a global trend. In this comprehensive article, we will delve into the world of cornrows, discussing the different types and the numerous benefits of getting this stylish and practical hairstyle.
Cornrows, are a traditional braiding technique where a stylist braids the hair close to the scalp. The name “cornrows” comes from the resemblance of the rows to the rows of corn in a field. This intricate style involves creating parallel rows of braids that follow a precise pattern, resulting in a neat and visually appealing hairstyle.
Different Types of Cornrows:
a) Classic Cornrows: The classic cornrows style features straight, tight braids that run from the front of the head to the back. The stylist will section the hair into rows and weaving them close to the scalp, ensuring a sleek and elegant look. Classic cornrows offer a timeless appeal and can be adorned with various accessories, such as beads or cuffs, for added flair.
b) Feed-In Cornrows: Feed-in cornrows, also known as invisible braids, are a modern twist on the traditional cornrows. In this style, hair extensions or additional strands of hair are gradually incorporated into the braids, resulting in a more voluminous and natural-looking hairstyle. Feed-in cornrows provide versatility in terms of length, thickness, and styling options, allowing for greater creativity and customization.
c) Ghana Braids: Ghana braids are characterized by thick, intricate braids that are often adorned with decorative elements. This style showcases the rich cultural heritage of Ghana and has gained popularity worldwide for its regal and eye-catching appearance. Ghana braids offer a striking balance between sophistication and individuality, making them a favored choice for special occasions.
d) Zigzag Cornrows: For those seeking a unique and edgy look, zigzag cornrows offer a distinctive twist to the traditional style. These braids follow a zigzag pattern, creating an eye-catching and dynamic visual effect. Zigzag cornrows are a great choice for individuals who want to stand out from the crowd and make a bold fashion statement.
Benefits of Getting Cornrows
a) Low Maintenance: One of the key advantages of cornrows is their low-maintenance nature. Their maintenance requires minimal effort. This makes cornrows a practical option for individuals with busy lifestyles or those who prefer to spend less time on daily hairstyling routines.
b) Protective Hairstyle: We absolutely love their ability to protect natural hair. Since the cornrows are tightly close to the scalp, cornrows reduce the exposure of the hair to external elements, such as heat, pollution, and excessive manipulation. This protective nature helps in retaining moisture, preventing breakage, and promoting hair growth.
c) Versatility and Styling Options: Despite their simplicity, cornrows offer immense versatility when it comes to styling options. One can add various accessories, such as beads, shells, or colorful threads, allowing for endless creativity and personalization. Moreover, One can style cornrows further into updos, buns, or ponytails, providing a plethora of options for different occasions and moods.
d) Longevity: When proper care, cornrows can last for several weeks, making them an excellent choice for individuals seeking a long-lasting hairstyle. This longevity eliminates the need for frequent
Nefertiti, The House of Cornrows
- Are cornrows suitable for all hair types?
- Yes, they are. However, they’re most favorite with Afro-textured hair because of its natural texture and volume.
- How long do cornrows last?
- With proper care, cornrows can last anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months. It depends on your hair type, the cornrow style, and how well you maintain them.
- Can I wash my hair when I have cornrows?
- Yes, you can wash your hair while wearing cornrows. It’s important to keep your scalp clean and healthy. However, remember to use a gentle shampoo and to dry your hair thoroughly afterward to prevent mildew.
- Do cornrows damage your hair?
- If done properly, cornrows should not damage your hair. However, braiding the hair too tightly can cause tension and breakage. It’s also important to give your hair a break between cornrow styles to prevent any potential damage.
- What’s the best way to maintain cornrows?
- To maintain your cornrows, keep your scalp clean, moisturize regularly. Also, avoid unnecessary tension, and wear a silk or satin scarf to bed to prevent friction and preserve the style.