What are Senegalese Twists?
Senegalese twists are a type of protective hairstyle done by twisting two strands of hair around each other. This technique can be done using your natural hair, but to achieve length, volume, or color, synthetic or human hair extensions are often incorporated.
This hairstyle is exceptionally versatile and can be crafted into a variety of sizes – tiny micro twists for a fuller look, medium twists for an average balance, or jumbo twists for a bold statement. Length and color are also customizable, allowing you to have short, bob-length twists, waist-length twists, or any length in between in a multitude of colors.
Benefits of Senegalese Twists
Senegalese twists offer multiple benefits, not just aesthetically but also for the health and wellbeing of your hair.
1. Protective Styling: One of the top benefits of Senegalese twists is their ability to protect your natural hair. They shield the hair from environmental damage such as harsh weather conditions and prevent over-manipulation from combing or styling, which can lead to breakage.
2. Encourages Hair Growth: By tucking your hair away in these twists, you allow it to rest and grow without interruption. It’s important to note that protective hairstyles like this work best when your hair is healthy to begin with. Thus, proper prep and aftercare are essential.
3. Versatility: Senegalese twists are incredibly versatile. They can be styled in various ways – worn down, in a bun, half-up half-down, braided into another braid, and more. Plus, they can be customized in terms of size, length, and color.
4. Low Maintenance: Compared to other styles, Senegalese twists are relatively low maintenance. Once they’re installed, only minimal daily upkeep is required, making them perfect for those with busy lifestyles.
5. Cultural Expression: Finally, for many, Senegalese twists are a way to express cultural heritage and identity.
Maintaining Senegalese Twists
While Senegalese twists are a low maintenance hairstyle, they still require proper care to ensure their longevity and the health of your hair underneath.
1. Keep Your Scalp Hydrated and Clean: Hydration is key to maintaining a healthy scalp and preventing dryness or itching. Use a spray bottle to mist your hair with water, and then seal in the moisture with light oils like jojoba or almond oil. It’s also important to keep your scalp clean while wearing twists. You can do this by using a dry shampoo or diluted shampoo solution.
2. Protect Your Hair at Night: To prevent frizz and maintain the twists’ neatness, cover your hair with a silk or satin scarf or bonnet at night. This material reduces friction and helps retain moisture.
3. Avoid Excessive Styling: While Senegalese twists are versatile, constant styling can put strain on your natural hair and lead to breakage.
4. Regular Maintenance: Regularly maintaining your twists will ensure they last longer. This includes re-twisting the edges every 2-3 weeks, as they can become loose from daily styling.
5. Taking Down Your Twists: When it’s time to take down your twists, be patient and gentle to prevent causing unnecessary damage to your hair. Start from the ends and work your way up to the roots.
FAQs about Senegalese Twists
Q: How long do Senegalese twists last? A: With proper care, Senegalese twists can last anywhere from 8 to 16 weeks. However, it’s recommended to remove or redo them every 8 weeks to prevent matting and tangling.
Q: Can Senegalese twists damage your hair? A: When done correctly, Senegalese twists should not damage your hair. However, if they’re installed too tightly, they can cause tension and stress to your hair and scalp, leading to issues like traction alopecia. It’s important to communicate with your stylist about the tension during the installation.
Q: How long does it take to install Senegalese twists? A: The time it takes to install Senegalese twists depends on several factors: the length and thickness of your hair, the size of the twists, and the speed of the stylist. On average, it can take anywhere between 4-8 hours.
Q: Can I wash my hair with Senegalese twists? A: Yes, you can and should wash your hair while wearing Senegalese twists. However, to prevent frizzing and unraveling, it’s advisable to use a diluted shampoo or a dry shampoo.
In conclusion, Senegalese twists are not only a beautiful and versatile hairstyle but also a great protective style that can encourage natural hair growth. With proper care and maintenance, they can serve as a hassle-free hairstyle for several weeks. As with any protective style, always remember that your natural hair health should come first. Always ensure that your hair is well taken care of before, during, and after wearing Senegalese twists.
Don’t hesitate to contact Nefertiti Hair Salon for more information